Wednesday 10 June 2015

My Mum buys a race horse.

At the end of 1963, my Mum successfully bid for a horse called Thorstone at an auction at the Borrowdale race track. 
Thorstone when we bought her.

She was a large, very gangly chestnut mare who, to that date, as a two year old had shown nothing at all on the race track. Dad was convinced that as a three year old, she would fill out and with that would come the improvement he expected from her. His patience paid off and she had a number of second places, which more than paid for her keep, before finally gaining some wins.

My Mum leading in Thorstone, with jockey Charles Purchase, into the winning enclosure on 14 March 1964.

and with Jockey Ian Mackenzie-Smith 4 July 1964

In September 1965, when there was a large amateur race meeting at Borrowdale,  I partnered her, to win the main race of the day.

A proud Dad leading Thorstone and me into the winning enclosure.  This win actually caused a big upset, as the horse that finished second had been very heavily backed!  At least the bookmakers were happy!

I had an excellent day’s racing, achieving another two wins, riding a chestnut called Significance and a dark bay called Happy Time.
Significance owned by Mrs Nicholas, trained by Errol Abrahams and ridden by myself. Won by a short head!

Kubla Khan was still going from strength to strength and by this time he was well into A grade and competing in the Rhodesian team events. He had certainly taken over where Mr Smith had left off. He was an extremely strong horse and it had taken me some time to find the solution to the problem of keeping him under control! I came up with the idea of using a hackamore, which is a bitless bridle, and this just worked miracles with him. Suddenly I was in full control and he listened to every move I made. He was the only horse on which I had ever used one of these bridles  and I was more than impressed with the result!

Myself, and Kubla Khan wearing a normal snaffle bit in this photo.

The next couple of years were a mixture of the Veterinary Research Laboratory, wild life work, falconry, riding Kubla Khan and competing in local shows, while at weekends, when possible, going to the farm to see Neil. 

Myself on the farm with Neil's two dogs, Yogi on my right and Trixie under arm.

 Dad was still training, enjoying it, and holding his own with a number of wins at the race track.

Dad leading in Budget with jockey Andrew Erasmus in the saddle.
19 April 1965

Me leading in Budget with Roddy England in the saddle.
7 June 1965

Note:  My Mum would have been 100 years old today, 10 June 2015. RIP.


My Life Before Charente to be continued :-) 

 

The section of my life story during our overland trip is published on Kindle if you should be interested:-
 THE GREAT 1953 TREK
See



12 comments:

  1. Hello Diane ,, such a fabulous tribute story for your mum. You have such brilliant tales to tell. Look at you on a winning horse :-) .. and your mum leading into the WINNING enclosure .. Amazing. Thank you for sharing . xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne, how I wish she was around to see our home in France, she would have loved it here. Glad you enjoyed this post. Keep well Diane xox

      Delete
  2. Your Mum seems a fine lady. Must have been a wonderful role model for you. Glad she's still with you in these marvelous memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaelyn, I have so many of her things around the house that I often feel that she is here. Great memories Diane

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful set of memories, connecting your passions and interests and family. I so enjoy reading these pieces. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosaria, comment appreciated. Glad you enjoy reading it. Diane

      Delete
  4. Me too I so enjoy reading your life story. You were a talented young rider and your family good with horses. Nice memories of your mum this month. I bet Rhodesia has changed a lot since those days just like Papua/New Guinea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly yes Diane, Rhodesia has not only changed but it is now Zimbabwe and one of the poorest countries in the world. So very very sad, it was a fabulous place for a child to be brought up in those years. T'other Diane

      Delete
  5. I like this name Thorstone. I'll be choose it as password for my computer at office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gio Ve, a great name for a lovely horse. :-) Keep well Diane

      Delete
  6. I don't comment your enters for a long time but I always enyoying with it, they are amazing. I always thingk you were a very lucky woman with the oportunity of living that way of life. Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Araceli I was very lucky, I lived in what was then a beautiful country and we had a wonderful life style. Your comment is appreciated. Diane

      Delete

Verification free blog but all comments will be modified before publication.
Thanks for reading my post and I would love it if you leave me a comment. I will try to answer each and every one.